Monday, April 03, 2006

Lasagna Rollups


A week and a half ago Michelle of Accidental Scientist wrote about making lasagna roll-ups. Now I haven't gotten around to trying her version but I did mention that my family had our own version of this recipe. We had it tonight and I'd like to share it with you. It's pretty easy and straight forward. Just don't do it unless you have family that is willing to wait patiently for 45 minutes while the baked dish sends out come-hither wafts of Italian tomato sauce and cheese.

Lasagna Rollups: Hallmarks of my Childhood #1

18 lasagna noodles
3 cups cottage cheese
2 cups mozarella cheese, grated
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 Tbsp parsley, well-chopped
2 eggs, beaten
dash nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
dash pepper
28 oz spaghetti sauce
1/4 cup parmesan


Cook lasagna noodles. Combine filling ingredients except spaghetti sauce and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Put a cup of spaghetti sauce on bottom of 13 x 9 pan. Place a generous 1/4 cup of filling at the end of cooked noodle and carefully roll up. Place stuffed noodles in pan in rows. Pour the rest of the sauce over the stuffed noodles. Ensure good coverage of all stuffed noodles by spreading with a spatula. Sprinkle over top with the 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Serves 6 - 9 people



This really is a base recipe as you can play around with quantities all you want. I added some chives to the mix. It was okay but a bit overpowering with the delicacy of today's cheeses of choice. I usually use a jarred spaghetti sauce. What you choose really creates the final flavours. My personal favourite is herbs and wine spaghetti sauce. My mother usually uses the shakeable parmesan but I grated my own. Depends on the quickness you want as either taste fine.


With a nice side salad, this can really fill you up fast. Expect leftovers unless you have a large family or a good helping of hungry guests.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Found you through Michelle's blog. Fabulous roll ups! I just ate and I got hungry all over again reading this post!

Benoist said...

This meal was good. I'm all for Italian food and pasta, and this dinner was no exception. I'm getting hungry as well reading the post, I must say.

Deetsa said...

Hi mm! Welcome to my blog. The rollups are comfort food sent from heaven.

Ben, dearest, is that a hint that you want this dish again soon?