Thursday, December 01, 2005

Mexican Eggrolls


*The quality is poor but we were hungry and I almost forgot to take pictures.

Sometimes when looking for something completely different you stumble upon a recipe that just begs to be tried out. That happens to be the case for this recipe--Mexican Eggrolls from Recipezaar. On the webpage it seemed this was given big thumbs up and it looked so easy. My only pout about it is that it makes no effort telling how long the chicken was supposed to be marinated. Mine only got about half an hour but I'm sure it would have been better with more. Not that His Froginess Eating Machine poohpooh'd it. He attempted to complain that I'd cooked it a bit too much for his taste in between wolfbites. LOL I made mine a vegetarian version, splitting up the rest of the ingredients in half before adding chicken to Frog's half. As I am chowing down on a cold leftover right now because I couldn't resist while writing about them, I guess you can say that I'm not poohpoohing it either.

Mexican Eggrolls (from Recipezaar): The comments in [...] brackets are mine

2 cups grilled boneless skinless chicken breasts ( marinade in 1 T oil, 2 cloves garlic, 1 t cummin, and the juice of one lime [for ONE hour or overnight])
2 cups monterey jack cheese or Mexican blend cheese, shredded
1 (15 ounce) can drained black beans
2 cups frozen sweet corn (unthawed and drained of liquid)
1/2 chopped sweet red pepper [used 3/4 of a red pepper]
4-5 diced green onions
2 minced fresh garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin (can put 1/2 t more if desired)[using more=nice smokey taste]
1 (16 ounce) package egg roll wraps [double happiness brand from Vancouver]

oil (for frying) [olive oil light was all I had on hand.]


[makes 12-14 with generous filling]
20 minutes 10 mins prep


1. Chop the chicken into small dices.
2. Mix all ingrediants together .
3. Moisten the edges of an eggroll wrap and put approx 2 T filling in the middle .
4. Fold like you would an eggroll (directions and picture are usually on the
eggroll wrapper container).
5. Make sure the flap is sealed to keep the filling inside.
6. Heat oil to 350 and cook just till golden browned (aprox 3-5 min) [I cooked in 4 batches].
7. Cut diagonally and serve w/guacamole and sour cream. [served mine with southwestern style salsa, hot pickled pepper relish and sour cream]

Notes: I added a dash of lime juice to the eggroll fill. What really would have made it nice was some cilantro(At least for me as the Frog has some misgivings about cilantro). As I have some frozen in the freezer I could use that next time.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

wow- I never would have thought about putting a mexican spin on eggrolls, but it sure sounds good. i think your lime and cilantro (i LOVE cilantro) suggestions sound like a perfect combination. we didn't get to make the omelette last night (we got paid early!!) but I think it's on our weekend menu. Thanks so much for answering my questions - I really appreciate it!

Deetsa said...

michelle--I was surprised by the mexican spin on eggrolls too. It is so good. I can't wait to make it again. I love mexican flavours.
You'll have to let me know how the omelette turns out when you have a chance to make it.
It's no problem about answering the questions. It's the least I could do.

Unknown said...

Yum.. I need to go get some breakfast.

Michele said...

OMG! I am dying here, those look SO GOOD! Adding them to my list of things to try!

Darlaing said...

Mexican egg rolls huh? I never would have thought to combine those two. . . I love it!

I hope you can get a hold of some Mexican hot chocolate soon--- you don't want those whimpers of passion to go unattended for long!

:)

Deetsa said...

linda michele and darlamay, yes it was very yum!

darlamay: I hope I can find some when I travel south soon. I'll have to figure out where first!

Anonymous said...

I make a version of these all the time! Ground turkey or chicken with taco seasoning, black beans and cheese. I also broil mine with a little EVOO on top, so they are healthier...2-3 minutes on each side! Yummy!

Anonymous said...

I would like to know hjow well these rolls freeze and what is the best way to reheat them