Saturday, November 05, 2005

Friday's For Comfort Food



Sometimes I am just flat out tired during the week. Students can suck the energy right out of you at times. Especially post-Halloween. I hate that time more than any other post-holiday, even Easter's chocolate frenzy. That's why I was SOOOO ready to have Friday come and have the time to make something yummy.

I just got a new cookbook called "the food of france: a journey for food lovers" by Maria Villegas and Sarah Randell* and decided to try out a recipe style I haven't tried making from scratch since highschool: thick, creamy soup. I chose leek and potato soup which turned out quite nice if I do say so myself. I mean don't make it if you don't have a little bit of time on your hands but the result is wonderful and the recipe needed no tweaking to make it good. It was more-ish.

Also made some other things since His Froginess seems to think that you must eat meat at every meal. *sigh* How he hooked up with a nearly vegetarian like myself is still a mystery to me. It really MUST be love. ;-) Oh... what did I make? Some Skinless chicken breast with some cajun spices rubbed in for him and some of my mom's well-loved Rice-A-Roni style pilaf. It's very scrumptious and filling side dish for those who love comfort food. Since it's so simple I doubt the mom will mind my sharing it publically.



Mom's Rice-A-Roni

3 Tbsp butter
1 cup fine vermicelli (12 oz) broken into 1 inch pieces
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
2 1/2 cups chicken broth

In a heavy frying pan, melt butter over moderate heat. Add vermicelli and stir frequently until lightly browned. Remove from heat, stir in rice well, coating with butter, then pour in chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 min or until rice is tender and all liquids absorbed. Turn off heat, let rice-a-roni steam for 5-10 minutes. Stir and serve immediately.

Makes 6 servings


Notes: You can use fine 1 inch egg noodles if you're in a hurry. I've found that you really don't need to take the pan off the heat while stirring in the rice and broth--just be quick and have everything prepped. I used vegetable broth in the past because I didn't have the chicken broth. It makes the dish a tad sweeter.

His Froginess really really loves this dish. Or so he reminded me again last night. Good thing it's easy to make. THANKS MOM!



*That's what it says inside the book. I don't know why amazon.ca has a different author's name.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I think there is a leek-potato conspiracy this week! I've seen about 5 posts about it and I have one ready to publish sometime this week. Well, if anything should be made and posted by many people, it's leek and potato soup. I just love it! Just found your site and I'll be back!

Deetsa said...

Hi! Thanks for dropping in! I should check out the posts in blogs again... I didn't know it was so popular this week. I made it because my French fiance was begging me for it. And boy did this recipe pass the test too! I made it the next day and it passed the test with friends as well.

Deetsa said...

Oh... do give it a try. It just warms you to the tips of your toes.