Monday, May 22, 2006

Rhubarb Kuchen



Every spring I can't wait for the fresh new rhubarb. Among the favoured baked fruit desserts in my family when I was a child was this scrumptious rhubarb dish: rhubarb kuchen. It's not overly sweet and is good warm or cold. There are some who will not let my mom bring anything but this for get-togethers. I don't blame them. You can use frozen rhubarb in a pinch too. I just prefer to use fresh.

Rhubarb Kuchen

preheat oven to 375F

Mix together: 1 cup flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

Cut in 1 tbsp butter

Mix one egg with 2 tbsp milk separately

When combined, add egg mixture to dry ingredients until just moist. Pat the resulting dough into bottom of a sprayed 8x8 inch pan. Set aside.

Combine: 1 package (85g size) of strawberry jello
1/3 cup sugar
3 tbsp flour
Mix with 3 cups diced rhubarb until well coated with jello mix.

Pour whole rhubarb mix over crust.

Mix well:2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
3 tbsp butter

Once combined, toss sugar mix (streusel) even over the top of the fruit layer.

Put into over and remove once the top is golden and the rhubarb tender

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree!! He is lucky. The rhubarb looks wonderful. And great job on the hollandaise! I can almost taste it.

Deetsa said...

Hi papa: Hmm.... I wonder, sometimes, if this Frog knows just how lucky he is ;-)

Hi sher: Thanks! I love rhubarb and this dish seems to be the perfect way to use it. The hollandaise is still stunning my senses. I can't believe how easy it was in the blender. I'm still not sure if I'd do well with it on the stove.